Jury Duty


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Yesterday was a full day of emotions, long waits, and deliberation. I was, for the first time on this panel, chosen to sit on a jury for a one day trial. Oddly enough, I love sitting on a jury. I love watching the ins and outs of the court, the process that goes into finding evidence and deliberating guilty or not guilty. Yesterday, however, wasn’t the best experience I have had as a jury panel member.

This particular case was an “Aggravated Assault with a Deadly weapon.” However, the victim was a special needs person. The odds of ME getting this particular trial have to be slim to none. But there I was, face to face with a reality that I was not ready to participate in. Not mentioning anything about a special needs victim in the jury selection process, I had no idea what I was just thrown into. Out of nowhere the State attorney presented to the jury that we needed to understand the victim was a special needs person and may or may not have a hard time answering questions throughout the day…the world stopped around me. My palms started to get sweaty, my heart was racing like I had just run a marathon, my face turned red, and I was smack dab in the center of the jury box with nowhere to run.

In the back of my mind I just kept thinking, I must be dreaming right? This is all a dream? How could I be the one stuck in the middle of a trial including a special needs person? Once the victim finally took his seat in the witness box, I tried to force myself not to be bias and do the job I was called to do. We listened to his testimony and a few others including an officer.

Joe (we will call him Joe) lives on his own and works to pay for rent and bills. He met “defendant” (not even worth giving a name) and became friends with him. Joe eventually invited the defendant to rent a bedroom from his house. Joe does not understand bank accounts and money, so he had been giving the defendant cash to pay his utility bills while he was at work. After four months of not paying rent and taking Joe’s money that was supposed to pay the utility bills…Joe confronted him. The defendant then blew his top and went to his room to get a gun. He then pulled a sawed off shotgun on Joe saying that he was going to shoot him.

Joe then left his own home called his boss who then took him straight to the DA’s office to file a report. This is the shortened version.

Once the entire jury went back for deliberations I found myself wanting to jump up and speak my voice. I thought the defendant was trash and deserved to be put away for life for trying to take advantage of this poor man! However, I contained my rage and kept quiet, anxious to see what everyone else thought about the case. Inevitably the jury found the defendant GUILTY! While, still a long hard exhausting day...I almost felt relieved.

I also wanted to say a short THANKS for everyone’s nice comments. This week for no concrete reason, has just been a hard week. They have gotten farther and farther apart…but I do still have bad days. Your comments and sweet notes were all instant pickmeups! I love each and every one of you in different ways. Thanks for your support and comfort.

LOVE LOVE LOVE


6 Responses to “Jury Duty”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    What an incredible story.

    You are always in my thoughts.

    xoxox

  2. Blogger Amy 

    Holy Batman! You have got to be kidding me, trash indeed! Thankfully Joe does have a guardian angel and people watching out for him, you included.
    XOXO
    Amy

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    ditto ditto ditto

    LOVE YOU TONS

  4. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Wow, it is amazing how God does things. He knew Joe needed someone like you on the jury for him.

    As far as you feel about you as a mother. (I am just reading the blog from the other day..) I think that because you are asking those questions and wanting so much for Daven that shows how awsome of a mother that you are. You are striving for his life to be wonderful. God knew exactly what He was doing when He gave Daven to you. He knew how big of a heart you would have and how much you would love, work, pray, wish, inspire, praise, nuture, and care for Daven. In those times of doubt just trust in God and know that He knows better than we do even when we can't see it or feel it.

    Love ya,

    Val

  5. Blogger Kerry 

    How amazing... and how strange this was YOUR case.

  6. Blogger Teresa and Shawn 

    Oh my goodness. I am glad you were on that jury.

    It makes me so sad and scared, though, for our little ones.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Aspen
  • From Clovis, New Mexico, United States
  • Happily married to Logan for 5 years. We have a precious son Daven Tate who was diagnosed with Williams Syndrome (a genetic disorder)at 11 months old. What a joy it will be to watch him grow. Daven just turned TWO!
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives