Labor Day Tradition


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




The Thomas family has had a Labor Day tradition for many many years now. All my aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, parents, siblings, and a few family friends load up in trucks and RV’s and meet for the long weekend to go camping in Colorado. We have had a total of almost 25 people before. This picture was taken last year.

Activities include anything from playing horse shoes, cards, looking at catalogs, fishing, hiking, planning future traditions (usually Christmas!), but mostly…we EAT! There is nothing better than eating in the mountains. A running joke in the family is that somebody is always pealing potatoes for the next meal. We also take a night (usually Sunday night) to have a small bible study and we even include songs. Keep in mind we are a Church of Christ family, instruments are of no use to us. HA!

This year, however, we will not be going on our yearly “Labor Day Family Retreat.” Jody, my sister-in-law, is expecting baby #2 here in the next week or two. This means, that she (along with my brother and Daven's Cousin Tia) would not be free to travel. For this reason along with many other concerns such as, “Why spend money traveling this weekend, when we will be going back to Colorado as soon as the new baby arrives;” we will not be trekking to the mountains for the long weekend.

I say all of this, simply because my heart is a bit sad that a long time family tradition isn’t happening this year. Don’t get me wrong, I am so excited for the new baby that I can hardly stand it. But because tradition is such a huge part of my life, I will terribly miss our trip this year.

Yes, abide any unforeseen reasons…we will pick the tradition back up next year. So, to get me by this weekend…don’t be surprised if you smell a cedar candle burning in my house and see me standing by the gas stove trying to make the perfect smore.

I LOVE YOU ALL and will miss our Labor Day Family Retreat. Just better be ready to party at CHRISTMAS 2006!!!

LOVE LOVE LOVE


4 Responses to “Labor Day Tradition”

  1. Blogger taiautumn 

    Um, I know this is rude...but I'm pretty excited we aren't doing it this year. The thought of not being able to go while the rest of my family was there, has sickened me for months now. But since we aren't doing it...whew! The countdown for Christmas is ONNNNNNN!!!

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    so flippin funny! i totally pictured you standing next to a candle making a smore. ahhh.
    thank you. thank you for all that you are.

  3. Blogger Nancy 

    What a great tradition. It sounds like you have a wonderful, fun family.

    Do they make cedar candles? I foresee a trip to yankeecandle.com in my future. Hey, I wonder if they have s'more candles.

    Love you, girlie.
    Nance

  4. Blogger Lisa 

    As I was reading you post I though you were gone camping....I was so sad that Autmn was not there this year. Hmmmmm Maybe Tia's Mommy wasn't the only reason the trip was not happening...

    Christmas, I bet is going be big fun!!! I hear you all do it in style :)

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Aspen
  • From Clovis, New Mexico, United States
  • Happily married to Logan for 5 years. We have a precious son Daven Tate who was diagnosed with Williams Syndrome (a genetic disorder)at 11 months old. What a joy it will be to watch him grow. Daven just turned TWO!
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives